Kettlebell workouts

Rand

Kettlebell workouts

Postby Rand » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:00 am

I'll admit it. I'm addicted to Kettlebell training and use it as a supplement for my Bagua. Lol

If you haven't worked with KBs before one of the things is that you can (and should in my book) do fairly large number of reps. For instance, the standard KB swing. I do stacked sets of 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 reps for a total of 150 total for a set. I do that twice in conjunction with same number of reps for whatever Bagua strike I'm focusing on in between the KB reps. Works out to 300 reps of KB swings and 300 reps of Bagua strike.

One bonus, other than the total body aspect of KB training, is improvement on grip strength. It takes some good concentration on the 40 and 50 rep ones to maintain good grip. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this too.
Yin Style Bagua Study Group Leader - Knoxville, TN
偵察狙擊手

ingmar

Re: Kettlebell workouts

Postby ingmar » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:02 pm

How long have you been doing kettle bell workouts? What benefit do you think you are getting from doing these two workouts together compared to in isolation? For example - blasting out kettle bell exercises in a concentrated effort, then (maybe hours later) doing extended, mindful, concentrated strike practice on just one strike - for... say 20 or 30 minutes in the same practice modality (i.e. the entire time in just one of stationary, single-step, two-step, three-step)?

The reason I am asking is because I am planning my practice regimen for 2017 and was thinking of daily 30-min blocks of personal bagua practice (I do other training daily also: beachbody programs, kung-fu classes, bagua classes). I was thinking of using the entire 30-min for one strike + one type of work, or one form, or one three-strike combo. The idea being keeping it to just one think that I will repeat and get into for that session.

So, I am curious about your kettle-bell / bagua strike superset, but also any other insights re: 30 min blocks?

Thanks!
--
Preparing for War - Finding Peace
Endless Flow - Crushing Force
Step by Step - The Perfect Circle

Rand

Postby Rand » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:35 pm

I've been playing with KB for several years now. About two and a half years ago I decided to do a modified KB 10k Challenge. The challenge was for KB swings only... Doing 300 per day. In 33 days you've completed 10k. I decided to up the ante a little and add a Bagua strike. It makes the KB 10k tougher by including the Bagua strikes.

Which strike really isn't important. Just pick one and go. At the end of the cycle you'll have don't 10k Bagua strikes and 10k KB swings. I really like the workout and have completed several of them. I generally do the Bagua strike using the box step method.

Also, I work a bunch of hours each week. It just isn't realistic for me to do split workouts. I have always done these KB swing/ Bagua strike 10k workouts in the following manner.

10 reps KB swings
10 reps Bagua strike
20 reps KB swings
20 reps Bagua strike
30 reps KB swing
30 reps Bagua strike
40 reps KB swing
40 reps Bagua strike
50 reps KB. swim
50 reps of Bagua strike

X two for a total of 300 reps of KB swings and Bagua strikes

You could vary it anyway you see fit. Nothing is wrote in stone.
偵察狙擊手

Rand

Postby Rand » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:00 am

Additionally, one of the biggest gains I receive from this workout is mental toughness. There are plenty of days when it is just hard to motivate yourself to do the workout... Especially when you commit to a 10k Challenge.

Also, depending on what weight of KB you use, it can be mentally and physically tough to get through the workouts at times.

We've all heard the saying "Drink the bitter"... Well, you'll get good at drinking lots of bitter on a 10k Challenge. Well, I did. Setting a solid goal like this and then hitting it day after day until you've completed it... It's just plain difficult at times and I'm a firm believer that it builds mental toughness.
偵察狙擊手

Rand

Postby Rand » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:36 pm

https://personaltrainers.london/articles/many-calories-burn-kettlebell-swings/

Above is a good article on KB swings and calorie burn rate. If you're interested...

Wonder what the calories burn for various Bagua training is??? Strikes, turning, etc
偵察狙擊手

Return to “Kettlebells / weights”