Combining Critters

Combative application of the art

Combining Critters

Postby Rand » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:03 am

For the longest time, I had the false mental position of 'staying within the animal'. Meaning if i was training Lion System, then all my applications were Lion techniques. Same for Bear, Phoenix, etc.

Like many of you, I suppose, I have techniques that really resonate. For instances, Dragon Entering, Phoenix Dodging, Lion Sweeping, Bear Leaning, Dragon Carrying, etc. We all have those techniques that just click with our body type and mentality. Nothing wrong with that, at all. The other non-resonating strikes should still be trained tho. As my personal practice has developed, I've found some techniques that didn't initially click started to come into focus. So, don't ignore them.

So, with all that out of the way... I'll get to the point of this post.

I like to mix techniques from the different animal systems into multi-techniques drills and applications. Last training session we revisited Phoenix Dodging strikes. Right or wrong, I like to use one of them as a kinda Phoenix Entering type technique against a lead jab. Damn difficult to express it into words... But as your opponent throws a lead jab you execute a Phoenix posture that deflects the incoming strike and places your arm above your opponents arm. At that point you launch a Phoenix Dodging strike to their face. Distance is important so make sure your forearm is what makes contact. If they don't block it then you've just landed a nice strike. If they do block it then you have to 'transform' to another technique immediately... If you desire to win. One I really like is to use my off hand to push down their attacking arm and retract the arm I just struck with and execute a Bear Penetrating strike. Now, this is only a two critter, two technique example, but you can add other techniques and make a multi-technique sequence. Try using the strikes that resonate with you and experiment. I think you'll find this really adds to your overall YSB ability. You use techniques that have been engrained and 'click' with your body type. As always, play attention to technical details, distance and footwork... all uber critical.
Yin Style Bagua Study Group Leader - Knoxville, TN

Re: Combining Critters

Postby ingmar » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:02 pm

This is one of the reasons why I am really considering attending other intensives in the 2017 calendar. I have limited knowledge animal systems other than Phoenix (just the rudimentary basics for the switches for bear, dragon, lion, rooster) but sometimes when practicing Phoenix applications the dynamic nature of the exercise leads me to be in a position relative to my opponent where I realize that the easiest / already loaded / available strike is from another animal system - so why not mix them up? Drilling down into our system is useful for discovering the nuances of YSB, can't wait to expand beyond this into other animal systems. A lifetime of learning!
Preparing for War - Finding Peace
Endless Flow - Crushing Force
Step by Step - The Perfect Circle

Return to “Application”