Developing specific animal force

How to develop stopping power in your strikes
Rob808

Developing specific animal force

Postby Rob808 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi

Just thought I would get people's views on developing specific force and how much attention is paid at different stages. I have spent the majority of my time training lion and the corresponding force is from the waist. I feel I am at a point where my force is coming from the waist and it is just now repetition and refinement to continually improve and integrate the whole body power.

However when it comes to for example the dragon systems and the bear systems I find the force being utilised (legs (full body) and the back respectively) more difficult. One of my concerns is whether I am focusing too much on emitting force from that area i.e in bear looking to have a short shocking power from the back (shorter version of the lion shock?) by strongly concentrating on the wind up and drop from the pelvis for the jolt from the back. What I mean is that should I simply be practicing the movement rather than trying to force where the movement is coming from, is this going to inhibit development? A lot of this comes from studying He Jinbao intently on the videos and trying to mimic the back movements, I am concerned I am overthinking things!

I would really appreciate people experiences on how they have gone about developing the specific forces in the different animal systems.

Good training all!

Rand

Re: Developing specific animal force

Postby Rand » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:31 pm

When practicing Bear techniques, I concentrate on flaring my lats, rolling my frontal deltoids forward and slightly towards my center line... Think of concaving your chest, and having a short, blunt force at the point of contact. By flaring my lats (after a few hundred reps over a period of time, you should start concaving your chest through the automatic physical practice of expanding your lats.

I really think that standing practice is essential in learning the finer aspects of whichever animal method you are focused on. Watch, play close attention to Jinbao on the instructional videos on standing practice. Do you best to mimic his body mechanics. The standing, especially in the representational posture, will really start to develop the proper body configuration that will help in striking with the force of that animal system.

Another thing to consider, since you've primarily trained Lion, is attention to the proper amount of hip rotation. I've found, in my personal development, that the Lion issues dynamic/gross hip rotation, which isn't found in the other animal systems that I've studied. Full body power is achieved within each animal, but each is expressed by a different set of body mechanics.

All of this is difficult to express in the writen word, but by close observation of Jinbao on video, I think you might gain a better understanding. I hope this helps.

Rand
Yin Style Bagua Study Group Leader - Knoxville, TN
偵察狙擊手

Rob808

Re: Developing specific animal force

Postby Rob808 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks for the response; that's good advice with regards to the standing training, and I will continue to focus on the videos as I progress.

Return to “Force Development”